Best-In-Class Services Since 2000
bluesign® was founded in 2000 and is an organization of experts in chemical management, impact reduction, worker health and safety, sustainability, and environmental sciences. They have been offering a best-in-class suite of sustainable services under System Partnership. The company recognizes that taking environmental responsibility to a higher level requires tools and validation methods to reduce the impact on people and the planet.
Founded To Change In The Industry’s Standard Mentality
bluesign® was established to change the standard mentality within the industry. The millennium not only marked a new era, but for many people throughout the world, it also represented a switch in mindset. With dirty waters, smoggy air, and tainted soils, the global environmental burden as a result of human action increasingly became clearer. Immediate action was urgent.
With more than 730 system partners worldwide, and offices all around the world in Switzerland, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, USA, Vietnam, and Bangladesh, the bluesign® SYSTEM can be implemented globally. Around 57% of the System Partners are textile manufacturers, 32% chemical suppliers and 11% brands and retailers. Amongst them are top-class brands such as The North Face, Patagonia, Jack Wolfskin, Columbia, Nike, and Adidas, but also the biggest denim mill ISKO from Turkey, and the most sustainable denim laundry Saitex in Vietnam.
Images by Saitex.
A Dynamic Group Of Individuals With Many Years Of Experience
bluesign® technologies is led by a dynamic group of individuals with many years of experience in the textile and chemical industries. The management uses its experience and expertise to enhance the manufacturing processes of its customers while cultivating a positive movement toward sustainability in the textile industry.
- bluesign® is a leading sustainability solutions provider working with chemical suppliers, textile manufacturers, and brands to reduce the impact on people and the planet.
- Through on-site assessments, bluesign® identifies the gaps at chemical and textile manufacturing facilities against the strict bluesign® CRITERIA. Focus areas are a safe production, responsible use of resources, and sustainable chemistry.
- For each of the gaps identified, an action plan with specific timelines is provided to the facility to close these gaps and produce according to the strict environmental and OHS requirements. This is the basis to become a bluesign® SYSTEM PARTNER facility.
- bluesign® provides a system that is implemented by the system partner manufacturers and chemical suppliers; it is not a conventional audit. System partner facilities are re-assessed on-site every two years to ensure continuous improvement.
- A thorough chemical assessment of the chemical products ensures bluesign® APPROVED safe chemistry is produced by the chemical suppliers and used in textile manufacturing, eliminating hazardous substances from the beginning of the production.
- Through the implementation of the bluesign® SYSTEM and usage of bluesign® APPROVED chemical products, system partner manufacturers can produce bluesign® APPROVED materials.
- System partner brands are able to label their end-products as bluesign® PRODUCT once a certain percentage (90% of the textiles and 30% of the accessories such as buttons and zippers) of the materials used in the product are bluesign® APPROVED.
bluesign® Offers Tools And Services
bluesign® offers many tools and services, such as:
- bluesign® SYSTEM: Expand your supply chain. Connect and collaborate with other system partner companies to grow your network.
- bluesign® ASSESSMENT: Your unique roadmap to implement the bluesign® SYSTEM and excel in sustainable production.
- bluesign® FINDER: Need the safest chemical products to make textile materials? Your database for bluesign® APPROVED chemical products.
- bluesign® GUIDE: Need the safest materials to make consumer products? Your database to find bluesign® APPROVED fabrics as well as trims and accessories.
- bluesign® TOOL: Enter your chemical products for chemical assessment and register them as bluesign® APPROVED chemicals once meeting the criteria.
- bluesign® XPERT: Create simulations of your resource productivity to optimize your manufacturing processes and increase your resource efficiency, while benchmarking with best practices.
- bluesign® ACADEMY: Ultimate source of accessing bluesign® expertise, providing consulting and training services for product stewardship, GRI reporting, regulatory aspects, impact reduction, and more.
Image by Saitex.