New York Denim Days 2017
After four very succesful editions of the Amsterdam Denim Days the blue festival spread their wings to the Big Apple. The first edtion of the New York Denim Days will take place on the 30th of September till the 1st of October. The New York Denim Days is a the ultimate place for denim professionals, denim lovers and shoppers to explore all the facets of the denim industry. You can expect a full denim experience with denim workshops, denim installations, shopping the coolest new and vintage denim stuff and expect unique activations from brands. The New York Denim Days is all about meeting the most interesting and active people within the denim industry. An event you can’t mis if you’re a true denimhead. New York will turn into blue the upcoming days.
New York Denim Days is initiated by House of Denim, organised by Modefabriek in collaboration with Kingpins Show and HTNK Fashion recruitment & consultancy.
What to expect at New York Denim Days 2017
Just like the Amsterdam Denim Days you can expect a full denim experience. The New York Denim Days event is loaded with tons of cool denim initiatives. There’re too many to mention, but here is the main selection to give you an idea what to expect;
Interactive denim installations and workshops;
- Jean Shop, the beloved Manhattan-based selvedge jean store, will be displaying rare vintage jeans, selling denim products and a leather bracelet that shoppers can also customize with dye and hand-stamps. In addition, they will be indigo dyeing bandanas to add to this great DIY experience.
- Curious Corners will host a pop-up Dip Dye Station of Yamato Indigo. In a series of workshops, Curious Corners dyers will teach attendees how to vat dye their own caps, beanies, bags, bandanas, scarves, t-shirts or canvas totes for a fee of $18 to $33.
- Expert stylists including Rudy Reed, Daniela Jung, Jamie Frankel and Erika Nunez will be on hand to help attendees find the perfect pair. Consumers will be able to sign up in advance for 30-minute consultations / styling sessions.
- Veteran denim designer Christine Rucci, ‘The Godmother’ and Alvanon, the global fashion consulting firm, have teamed up to offer a series of live denim fitting demos and one-on-one sit downs for denim-obsessive New Yorkers. Learn all about fit and get your body scanned with the latest technology for the perfect fit and to create your own 3D image.
Denim artists showing their beautiful craftsmanship;
- Deverazul is a project between two Columbian artists, Berto (the Italian denim mill, and Officina+39 that will transform Berto’s new Recycrom fabric (made with recycled denim fabrics) into a canvas. The medium will be everything from lasers to indigo powder.
- Silver Jeans Co. x Hanna Barczyk will debut ‘For Us.’
- Denim mill Artistic Milliners has collaborated with New York-based graffiti artist Hektad on a collection of denim and skateboards that Hektad will paint on and customize live at New York Denim Days.
- Denimrush will host a live demonstration of hand-painted denim jackets. You can also shop their collection ‘Modern Gutai’.
- Los Angeles-based Atelier & Repairs, the studio with a focus on creating unique, up-cycled and limited-run reconstruction of apparel, accessories and other objects, will be spotlighting its garments inspired by denim.
- Ian Berry will show his magical denim art. See for yourself the very time-consuming denim art of the very talented Ian Berry. Every piece is made by hand from old denim rags.
- Other artisans at New York Denim Days include: Various Mediums Inc., Weaving Hand Indiko, Hartford Denim Co., Claudia Gontovnik, Beru Kids, Danyaki, Denimcratic, Izome People, Leon Johnson and Windbeam Pottery.
Shop denim from the best brands and retailers;
- 3 x 1, Jean Shop, Blue in Green, Wrangler, 69, Silver Jeans, Detroit Denim, Brooklyn Denim, Hudson, Mavi, Balwin, Edwin, BLKSMTH, Dickies 1922, ABL Denim, Hartford Denim Co., Reds Outfitters, Thigh High Jeans and Knickerbocker Mfg.
- 3×1 will be making the Big Apple’s biggest and smallest pair of jeans. Try them on and snap a pic.
- Wrangler will debut the Psychedelic Collection, the second part of its collaboration with the celebrated artist Peter Max.
- BLKSMTH will be selling their jeans and other items as well as chain-stitching live on denim jackets.
The House of Denim Foundation presents Amsterdam-based denim entrepreneurs;
Denim mills, manufacturers and laundries will present their blue skills;
- Cone Denim will partner with 3×1 to make denim aprons and drawstring bags onsite that can be customized with embroidery, patches and stitching.
- Artistic Fabric & Garment Industries (AFGI) will be showing off one of the world’s first 360° VR tours of a denim factory.
- Calik takes you on a 3D tour of its entire denim fabric manufacturing process, all the way from the processing of the cotton to quality control of denim fabric.
- Tonello from Italy worked with 10 designers from all over the globe to create a gallery of 5-pocket jeans that represent what reality and vision mean to them. This is the final part of the project, which launched during the Amsterdam Denim Days in April 2017.
- Other participating denim insiders include: Candiani Denim, Albiate, Tonello, Orta Anodolu, Berto, Officina 39, Deverazul, Atlantic Mills (Salvage + Rivet) and Carved in Blue TENCEL.
Meet the makers behind the denim books;
- London-based The Vintage Showroom will join New York Denim Days and will bring copies of its instant classic books ‘The Vintage Showroom: An Archive of Menswear’ and ‘Vintage Menswear: A Collection From the Vintage Showroom’ as well as an edited selection of their huge and rare vintage clothing.
- Amy Leverton, author of ‘Denim Dudes’ will do book signings.
- Italian denim designer Piero Turk will attend and do book signings too with his books ‘Details: A life with denim’ and his latest book ‘Number 2: A life with denim’.
Piero Turk with Adriano Goldschmied
Pics by Team Peter Stigter
New York Denim Days details;
Event Date & Time
Saturday 30 September 2017: 11.00 am – 6.00 pm
Sunday 1 October 2017: 11.00 am – 5.00 pm
125 West 18th Street
New York, NY 10011
Get in the mood with the recap film of the latest edition of the Amsterdam Denim Days event;